Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mechanics of My Car

 Ok, so here's a pic of my car(not exactly my car, but you get the point). I have a 2002 BMW 330xi. Now, you're probably wondering, why is she bragging about this? Um, actually, quite the opposite. I got this car because a) it was somewhat a grad school graduation gift, b) my old honda accord- bless her soul- just was on its final legs(120,000 miles)- I still miss that car, c) my dad believes that all of us kids should drive nice cars(his dream). Let me preface the rest of my blog entry: I'm REALLY blessed to have this car and will always be thankful to have it- so don't get me wrong- I'm thankful to my dad and what he has done for me and will always be thankful. 

BUT--> the day I got it, I literally cried(in sadness) to my friends(it was a surprise purchase). Why? Because I thought 'everyone' would now see me as an 'indian princess'- which when people really know me, I'm not. My friends thought I was nuts but that's what I truly felt. It's somewhat embarrassing driving in a teacher's lot and having the nicest car and then them wondering how I got the nice car and their assumptions that come with it. Students also... I bypass that for the most part and just remind myself, it's their opinion/just a car, they don't know me. 

It's also weird driving this car when I'm the outdoor girl in the family. I go hiking, kayaking, caving, etc. and whenever I drive to those places, I definitely get the looks. I did a carpool recently with other people and I had to bypass and explain why I had this car. I get over it, but just my experience having a car that doesn't really fit my lifestyle. 

Saying all this, you're probably wondering why my car sparked a blog entry...well, for the last couple of weeks, my car has been giving oil change lights and today, I decided to take care of it at Jiffy Lube(trying to avoid the dealership because they cost an arm/leg). I figured $50 bucks tops, if that, for it and whatever else they found. Um, my bill came out to be over $600(and will be $800 by the weeks end). Why you ask? They started finding air filters, brake fluid, air conditioning filter, new wiper blades, etc. that were all in dire need of replacing and then the kicker- oh yes, one part-the reservoir??--> cost me($300). They showed me the leak and they said that if I don't get it fixed, it will overheat in the month of January, for sure. GREAT. I guess it's all a part of maintainence but I wish I knew more about cars. I even told the Auto teacher at my school that I need to take his class and really get a lesson about all the parts. I have NOO clue about that and I hate being ignorant and just saying 'yes' to stuff because it seems important. I don't want to be that dumb girl that gets ripped off- but it all seemed legit/needed. Who knows? 

So that was my adventure today. I did save money by going to the dollar store to get school supplies and going to Taco Bell for lunch...Ok, hope everyone had a good weekend. 

No comments: