Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Indian Snowboarder...



So what was also interesting was the fact that I was the only Indian girl snowboarder. Northstar was PACKED with zillions of people and I guess Indian/brown people just don't ski and snowboard. I saw a handful of Indians(maybe 2 familes) but thats about it. A random snowboard Indian dude here and there- but mostly on the slopes there are two types of people: (1) Caucasion/White(mostly skiers that have done it all their lives), (2) Asian(mostly Japanese who learned to ski in Japan/figured it was easy and the thing to do). I get it to a point... but it somewhat bothered me about the numbers(as does a lot of things that I do). Maybe all my activities that I do(outdoorsy stuff) is dominated by these races. I dunno. It started bugging me 2 years ago and I'm seeing it more and more. Nothing wrong with it- trust me, I have a ton of friends in both races- but it bothers me about the numbers. If America is now dominated by brown people, me being one of them, then why aren't there more of them on the slopes, on trail heads, outdoors stuff, etc??? I realize expense has a LOT to do with it, family togetherness(as one of my hispanic friend tried to explain it to me), and just the fact that all the things I do apparently seem like 'work'. I'm sure it'll still boggle my mind for a long time. Out of all my Indian girls that I know, I'm pretty much the only one like me. I guess I'm different(in a good way, I would like to think). 

Anyways, I'm super glad I went and had an awesome time just understanding the ski/snowboard world. I just have to work on my S-turns more and then maybe, just maybe, I can go down an 'easy' run all the way down next time. Here's to hope. 

As for tomorrow, SUPER excited about my 3 hour spa day I got lined up. OMG- it's going to be wonderful/soothing/painful(in a good way) to soothe out the soreness. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. 


2 comments:

Ajat Tariyal said...

Hi,
Just ran across this very old post. Looks like you stopped blogging!! Anyway - it always did bug me that Indians didn't ski, climb, dive, etc so I decided to try to do something about it. Here's are 3rd annual desi ski event; we should have over 100 people this year. If you still are boarding check it out: http://www.facebook.com/events/251677111613252/

and keep blogging - you write well!

Nina said...

I am Indian and I snowboard all over the world. i am going Himalayas for 7 days Heli ski. Probably first Indian woman to ever snowboard on Himalayas.