Monday, January 12, 2009

Making Painful Mistakes...

I burned my finger today pretty badly. Not to a point where I need to see a doctor, but to a point where it still kinda hurts. My overhead went out on me in the middle of a lecture and so being the resourceful person I am, I decided, hey, I can fix this. Next thing you know, I'm reaching for the overhead light and it was a *little* hot. Make that sizzling hot to burn my finger. Of course, my students get a kick of my stupidity but then, realizing I'm hurt, then feel sorry for me. Oh, well, I deserved it. As my brother says, "and they gave you a college degree? Good job college grad!" 

Another time where I thought was resourceful was about 2-3 Thanksgiving's ago. I'm not the best cook in the Sidhu family- my brother and sister take over the cooking for Thanksgiving since it's my mom's day off from cooking. So its around 8pm and everything is ready to go on the table and my only responsibility is to take things out of the oven/microwave. The stuffing needed to be reheated in the microwave and once it was done, I was like, ok, just carry it out. Little did I know...oh, yes, it was a scad bit too hot and I dropped the stuffing on the floor. Glass pieces everywhere- stuffing lost on Thanksgiving with no other backups. All the stores were closed(obviously) and it was too late. That Thanksgiving we didn't get stuffing and I will NEVER live it down. I still get shooed out of the kitchen because of this and my habit of not really assessing the risk factors of hot items. Don't mess with stuffing on Thanksgiving. 

I'm sure everyone has these kinds of stories but in typing with a burned finger, its a constant reminder of my painful mistake. Hopefully, tomorrow, it'll be better and I'll forget about it. Hope everyone had a good Monday! 

No comments: