Monday, December 15, 2008

Swamped with Finals Week...

So, usually I don't blog about work but because this week is somewhat stressful because of finals and getting kids set for semester grades- it's all I can think about to blog about. High school finals are pretty intense--> 20% of their semester grade. Of course, in college, its more 40-60% of the grade, but I think students just don't know how important it is for them to do well and how it is preparing them for course work in college. 

As for me, it's not TOO stressful to give out finals- it's just making sure that my finals are decent- that they are numbered correctly/no mistakes(already caught one) and then figuring out grades(and waiting for the 'crying' to begin). My finals are 100-150 multiple choice so with scantron- it's easy to grade. Semester grades, for people that forget, is what colleges see when you apply to college so its a big deal for GPA and credits for graduation are concerned. Last year, I got like 5 emails pretty much begging me to up grades(an example- 79.3%--gave the student a C- yes, i'm that brutal). So, its always an adventure when grades come out and usually I do a good job of prepping students about what they realistically can get beforehand so that I don't get a lot of whiners. 

Finals are not the only thing on my mind. I just got SWAMPED from my masters class(60 med school level questions) and now am going to pay for it this week and even this weekend when I go home to Fresno on Friday. I HATE doing work in Fresno but I'm going to have to- heard there was a hail storm there and its cold there. I even canceled on an outing today to stay in and do work- so that blew chunks. I don't get to go out much on weekdays but it would have been nice...

Ok, will try to get more 'exciting' tomorrow...just trying to stay afloat right now...

No comments: