Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cheap Retreat...

This morning, I had a choice. I could do the movie Saturday I did last week or I could go out. So, I chose going to one of my 'cheap retreats' which is Santa Cruz. I used to come a LOT more for various reasons, but because of the rise in gas prices and the fact that I moved a good hour up the bay, it was always a decision if it was worth it. But, with the recent advent of gas prices going down, I now could go with little guilt. 

Santa Cruz has a lot of wineries- especially up in it's mountains. I used to be a big wine taster. In fact, I had a goal(a couple of years ago) of going to all these wineries and I enjoyed it. Now, I overdid it to a point now that I don't enjoy it as much- only in small doses. If you haven't gone wine tasting or don't like it, it's still interesting to go. Just seeing what each bar looks like, the atmosphere, and even how they sell their product is enough for me to go again and again. Yes, its about the wine too, but for me, it's more about meeting the workers and getting to know about a field that I don't know much about and learning something completely new. 

I also got to see one of my old friends and get to catch up with her. Went to "4 Christmas's" with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn- decent movie. I can't really relate to the movie a lot because of the divorced parents and not wanting to go home- but I could relate to them wanting to travel/not wanting to get married(settling just to get married)/not wanting kids. This all changes by the end of the movie- and I think it was a funny movie all around. A good feel good movie for the holidays if you ask me. 

I also sometimes go kayaking in the ocean- been multiple times(even took my kids with me twice). I now have a contact there that gives it to me for like $15 bucks and I can kayak out to the otters that are feeding and the sea lions that are barking. It's really cool to see them in their natural habitat just hanging out versus when you go to a zoo/aquarium or Pier 41. It somewhat now spoils those experiences for me- but I love Santa Cruz for showing met the 'real' way those animals live. 

Santa Cruz also offers the boardwalk(if its nice outside and you have money), natural bridges(when in season you can see a LOT of butterflies come in-a great experience), and go to the tide pools and see some interesting creatures. It's always nice to get away at times from the hustle and bustle of the bay and go somewhere where it takes my mind off things. One point for the bay- going places within an hour and feeling like you have stepped into another land...

Hope everyone had a good Saturday! :) 

No comments: