Sunday, December 21, 2008

Needs versus Wants...

In the hustle/bustle of the holiday season, it's very easy to go out and buy everything that I want. I've been really stingy this month because I've been trying to save up for trips in the future(St. Maartin(spring break), Peru(summer), maybe Portland(valentines/presidents day break)) and just trying to save a little for future purchases. It's hard not to think about things that I want versus need. Do I need a new pair of jeans, shoes, etc? Or do I want them? Do I need a new laptop when this laptop does its job aok even though it's having little issues? 

I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles with these decisions everyday. In my junior year of college, I was a shopoholic to some point. I went out almost every weekend and shopped just to make myself feel better/have something to do. Now, I almost don't like shopping. I don't get that kick of adrenaline I used to. Some people don't know how to kick it out of their system. Thank God I never got into credit card debt because of it and knew how to spend within my limits. Maybe it's because I make my own money now that I'm stingy. Maybe it's also because I'm a travel junky and want to take extravagant trips all the time. Who knows? 

I think I always get to thinking when I have time on my hand and itching to do something/spend some money. Fresno is an oasis but also my reset button. It makes me think about things in my life and just what I could do in the future. Spending money is always another thing to do in Fresno- but needs versus wants- as someone has always pointed out to me- is something that I struggle with everyday. 

No comments: