Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I heart Fresno and UCSD/San Diego...




Ok, you all knew this post was coming. Anyone that knows me, knows that Fresno and San Diego, hands down are my two homes. The Bay is not- not even by a long shot. I just live here and am trying it out to make it my home. Fresno is obvious- I was raised there and have just an amazing support system there. San Diego is where I truly grew up and UCSD is always and forever will be in my heart. 

Most people when I mention that I'm from Fresno get this look of sympathy or disgust. I love Fresno for many reasons. Yes, it's where I grew up and where my parents still reside. But, more than that, it was where I was loved from an Indian community of a good 30 kids around me that made me who I was. Whether it was going to gurdwara(church) together on Sundays, going to each other's bdays(and still knowing them to this day), going to events/etc, numerous slumber parties, riding bikes around the neighborhood- all of this- made Fresno come alive for me. Even now, when we have weddings/events in Fresno, we all look at each other and think, wow, we're lucky to have an awesome core of friends that really does care about one another in the end(which is rare). 

As for Fresno, the city- it has grown a LOT since when I grew up. Because I went to Edison High(go Tigers!!), I got to see a lot of the town. The town has now become a city with a LOT of clubs/bars/etc. to now go to- shopping is somewhat now the same in major cities(still needs some help- but getting there for the most part) and just convenience of driving around with hardly any traffic is enough to call Fresno my oasis from the hustle/bustle of the bay. I do defend Fresno to friends and my students and now that the bulldogs and Fresno State are getting more prominent in the news, more people are knowing about it. Even one of my students was wearing a Fresno State sweatshirt because she wants to go there for their Forensic Science program(apparently it's one of the best in the state!)... 

And yes, onto what I call my "real" home- San Diego. Seriously, I think I have a minor problem with how much I flaunt around my UCSD/San Diego gear, but I think its due to how much I miss it. The main reason I still wear my UCSD gear is a) I like to promote UCSD because a lot of people don't know about it or think its a party school(like SDSU- big difference), b) not a lot of UCSD love here in the bay(a lot of Stanford and CAL gear-boo), c) reminds me of what I was like in college/sense of nostalgia. My true long lasting friends and the ones that know me the best have come from UCSD. Almost all people that come from UCSD- have license plates on their cars- have support for it- and the love of San Diego that comes with it(this is true of most of my family friends/co-workers/etc- that I've seen). People that came from other campuses- not so much- especially the folks coming out of UCLA(no disrespect to my Bruins)- they couldn't wait to get out of LA and don't have a TON of pride when it comes to it. Maybe thats just my experience- who knows? 

As for San Diego, the city- I lived in La Jolla for all my years there(7 total)... and that's literally, the place I GREW up. Being out of Fresno, away from my parents, and just trying the world for myself- I had an awesome time. From going to parties at UCSD, being in a sorority, being a part of the Indian club(Sangam), partying it up in Gaslamp and Pacific Beach(PB), fuzzy memories of Sun God festivals, walking on Library walk, having to study without my parents grilling me about my grades, dating for the first time--> and then after graduation, realizing that college is over and now you have to get a job- San Diego is truly my home away from home. Now, when I drive down to San Diego on the 5, I literally start to cry when I hit San Diego. When I hit La Jolla Village Drive on the 5 and pass Geisal Library on my right, I know I'm home. It's a weird feeling, but I know my UCSD people know what I'm talking about. I still have a lot of friends down there and visit whenever I can. I'm even coming in April/May for two weekends in a row for a wedding- had no complaints about that one- am so excited about it...

I've already alluded to me making some hard core decisions in 2 years- thats because I'll be done with my masters and I'll be a 6th year teacher...so somewhat enough experience to go into a Administration(vice principal/principal) program/get a decent admin job- or teach at a local JC(biology). Also, the other decision of where to live... the Bay, Fresno, or San Diego. I guess thats what the future holds...but my love for both cities is still there...


No comments: