Friday, December 12, 2008

A Spoonful of Sugar...

One of my friends refers to me as a "Spoonful of Sugar" meaning that I'm almost too positive and too sweet for him to take in big portions. I'm a pretty positive person for a lot of reasons. I think I've gone through really dark periods of my life and with those experiences, I've made it through a lot stronger and a lot more wise. Being negative, at least for me, is somewhat a waste of time and not worth it in the scheme of things. Don't get me wrong- I get negative a lot of times but then I remind myself of what I have and then tell myself to shut up and look at the positive. 

Whenever I get around negative people, I almost always just a) shut up and let them vent, b) tell them what I see about the situation, c) remind them what they have. Someone told me that whenever I get negative, I should write a "Thank You" list of what I have and I've always followed that whenever I get down in the dumps about something. Another method is that I compare my pain to what I felt like when I was super-duper depressed- and remind myself- hi, its not like that- so this is nothing- you survived that, so you'll be fine. 

The bubbly me that people see- sure its there. The negative person within me- its also there- but I think, the spoonful of sugar and Mary Poppins will always be in my heart. 

No comments: