Sunday, December 7, 2008

New York to Machu Picchu...

 

From the bustling city of New York to the ancient city of Machu Picchu- both things were on my mind today. I'll start with New York. I spent my first two years of life in New York(was born there) and then my family decided to move to good 'ol Fresno(after a brief stint in CT). So I always have ties to New York and the city that it is. Even though I don't remember it a lot back in those old days, I have visited on MANY occasions for random trips--and still have family out there(even went to the Cosby house- oh yes). Today, I got a random phone call from 347- had no idea what that was. I know, I should have known. It was one of my many family friends who called to catch up and just see how I was doing. It's always nice to hear from people that you don't get to talk to that much and get back to square one like you talk to them everyday. I miss my family friends daily for various things and always have a special place in my heart for them(big props to my fresno folks here-me love you guys). 
 
Anyways, back to NY.  I've always had ideas of going back to NY- taking a year there, and really getting to know the area. I've even looked into admin credential programs at various NY universities and maybe in 2 years I'll be there. Who knows? I have to make some big time decisions in two years and New York is definitely a possibility. I love it whenever I visit and I think just experiencing East Coast culture for a year would be fun. 
 
As for Machu Picchu, it's been one of my big 'hits' as a traveler. I really want to do the Inca Trail and just see the ruins. But, I'm somewhat scared of what is involved. The Inca Trail is a good 4 day hike- 25 miles total. Some days(like Day 2)- its pretty much Stairmaster for 8 hours. EIGHT hours!! They say that pretty much anyone in 'decent' shape can do it- um, yea, I'm in 'ok' shape- but not stairmaster 8 hour shape(like people I know). I don't want to chicken out and take the bus up to Machu Picchu- I would regret it for a long time and I figure, go big, or go home, right? Me/friends are thinking July and we just have to stick to a New Year's Resolution of working out ALOT till then... I know- crazy...and I've heard soo many trials and tribulations over the trail- but the end all result is worth it. We've made Christmas the new deadline to figure things out...I'll let you know. 

A lot of plans/ideas in my mind, so little time. Next summer is pretty much booked with my big masters class(6 unit class in Maryland) and so this summer, I want to go do something productive. Besides Peru, getting certified for SCUBA is another thing on the list. Just always wanted to do it, never had time or guts(been on 3 trips with no certification-loved every one of them). Figure, I'm young, single, and this certification is for life. One time deal, get it done. 
 
Ok, back to my "Made" episodes (thank God for MTV.com and streaming video) and getting ready for a full week of finals prep for the kiddies. Hope everyone had a good weekend. 

No comments: