Thursday, December 4, 2008

Motorcycles- Fun or Dangerous?

So, on Monday night, there was a guy at the get-together that rides motorcycles. Conversation started about it and I learned a couple of things. One: his motorcycle only carries THREE gallons of gas- and its about 50 mpg- pretty impressive. Two: apparently, there are motorcycle parking spots all over the city(SF) and the meters there are ridiculous(50 cents for 4 hours). He offered me a ride and trust me, I was tempted. But, at 11pm, it was late, it was somewhat slick on the road, and he admitted that he was driving illegally(he hasn't gotten his real license even though he took the lessons)-so I passed. 
 
So here's my thoughts: Yes, I've riden on the back of a motorcycle- its thrilling- but its scary as hell also. I've always wanted to learn and every time there is a major traffic jam and I see motorcyclists just zoom in the aisles- I think, dammit, how convenient is that? Then, there are other times, when I'm driving fast and a motorcyclist comes waltzing in and all I think is: don't hit it, don't hit it. I always have a picture in my head of how people just plop over and then have multiple injuries. 
 
I've had boyfriends in the past tell me that they want to learn. I was somewhat all for it but at the same time, I was scared for them. Apparently, its safer when you go in a group and 280 up in the bay is pretty straight and no windy(unlike the 17). I used to read "Sweet Valley Twins" when I was younger and there was a whole book dedicated to how one of the twins decided to go on a motorcycle ride and then she ends up in the hospital. I never forgot that and even hearing stories about friends friends that have died/been injured- gives me the heeby jibeez. 
 
Then, I think- oohh mopeds or Vespas. One of my co-workers is huge into it and goes riding on them all the time. They are smaller and more 'fun' and not as dangerous as motorcycles. Maybe I'll start on one of those. Who knows? There are always tours on islands, etc. but then once in Oahu I saw a group struggling over one of their friends who just crashed and burned. Not good advertising for a person who thinks it would be fun. 
 
Maybe I'll just stick to ATVing (yes, even those are dangerous-one of my friends crashed/burned when we went to Costa Rica together)- but motorcycles are a different level. Maybe its the 'Bad Girl'(like Danity Kane syndrome) in me that wants to try it... or maybe, I'll just stick to getting rides once in a while. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, a reference to Sweet Valley Twins. I haven't heard of that book series in forever!! Love it!
Ken wants a Vespa and even though I don't like motorcycles I think a Vespa could be fun. But, this isn't something we have to worry about because we can't afford one. They are so pretty though. Sighhhh