Monday, December 8, 2008

The Oprah Conference and Self-Improvement...

 
Today, was a very normal day(in some senses) so I don't really have a lot to say but since work(high school) is slowing down- I have a lot more 'free' time on my hands. Yes, I still have to tweek one of my finals before next week, have masters work(that is due in 2 weeks), and other projects, procrastination is hitting me big time. I'm even looking forward to a weekend where I don't have a ton to do(which is going to be awesome). 

So, when I have free/down time, I think about my time at the Oprah conference(yes, you can laugh now). But, seriously, my sister and my best girlfriend went with me and we just had the most awesome time. It was 4000 women and about 15 guys, and seminars in various things(Gail was there and even a surprise visit from Oprah herself-got to see her speak). I'm not one of those HUGE Oprah fans like some people I know, but I do get her magazine and watch it when I'm home and try to follow things here and there(but I'm not a cult member!). 

Anyways, Suze Orman(the 2nd pic)- is a financial guru and has really whipped my senses about my money and what I need to do in this hard economic crunch.  Being a teacher that doesn't make a lot, it's good to know that my 'cheapness' will pay off in the end and I'm learning a lot about needs versus wants. We got a free book from her about "Women and Money" so it's something I refer to still to this day. 

The third pic(Martha Beck) is a spirituality guru and by the end of her seminar- I was crying. Why? Well, she did this exercise with this woman who was having pressures from her family to a) get married and b) have kids(kind of like my parents/indian community) and Martha Beck showed how her body/spirit reacted to it(it didn't agree with both of them). So because this directly applies to me- I was a wreck. But, it made me feel like I'm not alone and it's ok to go with what your inner self is telling you. I guess you had to be there- but it was just one of those experiences I will never forget. 

One of the last seminars, was Stacy London- from "What Not to Wear". She was amazing and was really REAL- she told the story about how she is 39, just got dumped(she was engaged to this hot author), and now lives alone with her cats. She gained weight at one point, her show got cancelled, so it was just another side of her that I think a lot of women(including me) were really surprised to hear about. She inspired me to look at my wardrobe once again and try not to shlum to work as much. I know I need a revamping of my wardrobe and maybe this weekend, will be the time I'm going to do it. When we were walking out, we spotted her, and I yelled out "we love you" and she waved- so it was another encounter with her that we didn't expect. I have a newfound respect for her and now, when I watch her show, her personality that she is on TV is that- a personality- versus the real person that I saw at the conference. 

Anyways, for people that don't reflect on their life much, this post might be fluff. I do it a lot and as a teacher, it's almost a requirement in order to become a better teacher so that students can benefit. I also do it to become the best person I can be. I've changed a lot from when I was in college to now, and I think its because of my profession and just life experiences(like everyone reading this post). The Oprah conference was one of many experiences that will help me in that quest for that. 

Ok- enough fluff on a Monday- I'll write something more 'fun' tomorrow- had to post something, right? This is what I came up with...hope you enjoyed. 


No comments: